Amare Stoudemire out for four months!

chadjaja

On the way back!
Real Name
John Holmes
PHOENIX -- The Phoenix Suns will be without All-Star forward Amare Stoudemire for about four months after he underwent microfracture surgery to repair damage to his injured left knee on Tuesday.

The injury turned out to be far worse than the Suns had hoped when they announced on Monday that team doctor Thomas Carter would perform what was termed "diagnostic" surgery.

"It was better to do the microfracture now instead of chancing that the lesion would grow, which might affect Amare down the road," Rodney Rice, Stoudemire's manager, told the Arizona Republic. "It was best to do the procedure now."

Stoudemire, who turns 23 next month, signed a five-year, $73 million contract extension last week, the maximum allowed under the NBA's collective bargaining agreement with the players union.

In a news release, the Suns said Carter repaired a joint surface defect roughly one centimeter in diameter on the inside of his left knee.

"The surgery went well and other than the defect that we treated today, Amare's knee is remarkably and structurally healthy," Carter said in the statement released by the team. "Given Amare's age and the nominal size of the location of the defect, I am confident the microfracture procedure performed will allow a healthy and normal return to action."

Considered the cornerstone of the franchise, Stoudemire has improved each year and was a main component of a team that won a league-best 62 games last season.

The 6-foot-10, 245-pound forward was fifth in the NBA in scoring at 26 points per game last season, his third in the league. He averaged 30 points in the playoffs, 37 in the Western Conference finals against Tim Duncan and the San Antonio Spurs.

Stoudemire's loss will leave the Suns with a vastly different team through most of the regular season. The only starters from last season's team will be the NBA's most valuable player, Steve Nash, and all-star Shawn Marion.

Stoudemire had been bothered by soreness in the knee for several months. He had worked out last week in training camp, but sat out the team's scrimmage and final practice to have the knee examined by three doctors.

The arthroscopic operation found the cartilage damage in Stoudemire's left knee to be more severe than anticipated, the Arizona Republic reported.

Suns team physician Tom Carter treated a joint surface defect, roughly 1 centimeter in diameter on the medial (inside) side of the left knee.

"The surgery went well and other than the defect that we treated today, Amaré's knee is remarkably and structurally healthy," Carter said. "Given Amare's age [22], and the nominal size and location of the defect, I am confident the microfracture procedure performed will allow a healthy and normal return to action." :cry:

I was just reading about this on email..lol.

Anyone think that the Suns will struggle?

I'm still not sure...

I'm sure Nash and Matrix will step up, but do you think other teams in the NBA will try and hit them hard, hoping to get a few L's on the board for the Suns?

January is a long way away, that's what? 20 games into the season??

The Suns will not produce a year like 04/05,
but they still have some talent on the roster to be in a position to challenge once Amare gets back on deck.

Hopefully they don't fully abandoned the run & gun style of last year.

also, in Suns matters: report from George Eddy on NBA.com blog:

"The best French player by far was Boris Diaw, not Tony Parker, and Diaw's going to surprise a lot of NBA followers who think he's a soft, scared to shoot failure after his sad run with the no-clue Hawks!

Mike D'Antoni was in Belgrade and joked that Diaw would average 30 with Phoenix. You read it here first! Boris is a player and probably the most altruistic personality in the league. He's definitely NOT a ball hog! "

for some reason I thought it was good the Suns got something in return for Joe Johnson, hopefully Diaw gives them a solid 2 guard.

boris is a player but i doubt he would see alot of time as a shooting guard, because report is that he doesnt have good jumper. but i knew he is working to be a back up 4.. (is he strong enough tho?)

the starting 5 of the suns might be
kurt thomas
shawn marion
james jones
raja bell
Steve Nash

they have better bench compare to last year, but we should be aware that no one could replace amare. Good thing is that the suns players are in the same page and i believe them could still be a playoff team

Back
Top Bottom