The state of Test Match cricket

ozsportscardcollector

OzCardTrader
Real Name
Damien
I haven't seen any threads on this subject so thought I'd make one and see what happens.

I still prefer the long version of the game despite the exciting 20/20 game last night and the woeful Test series against West Indies and South Africa this Summer.

I started getting into cricket in 1980 at ten years of age and was lucky enough to see the Windies at their best. I'm sure we will never see any team that good ever again - at least not from teams outside India, Australia, and England. This brings me to my point. I saw a program a few years ago that more or less spelt out what International Test Match cricket would look like in the future: India, Australia and England becoming much stronger than all other nations. And it's all to do with money. India generates 85% of all International cricket revenue thanks to the Indian Premier League and they, along with Australia and England which generate the rest, are going to keep the lion's share of that money and put into into their own grass roots cricket academies, etc. This leaves the rest of the Test Match nations as poor relations who get virtually zero funds( other than what they can generate themselves) to put into their own player development. In the interests of cricket world wide this is horrible imo. What we just saw this Summer will be the norm when sides other than India and England tour here.

I could say a lot more but in short I'm saddened by the reality that there will be a 'big three' in Test Match cricket and that West Indies, South Africa, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, and all other Test Match nations will almost certainly never ever have a dominant Test match team.

It makes me really sad. We have had a wild ride in NZ with a once in a lifetime group of players considering the lack of resources here.

Kane Williamson has barely played any cricket since the WTC two years ago, and when he does he needs time to find his feet in the middle , and then just as he does the cricket is over and he waits in the wilderness again getting scratchy. Root, Kohli, Smith etc get at least double the opportunities he does and the greatest batsman NZ has produced since Sutcliffe just wastes his career away. Root debuted two years after Kane and has played 34 more tests. The only Kiwi getting regular game time is Stokes who wasn't silly and saw how much better opportunities were elsewhere.

Boult is playing in the UAE T20 something or other meaningless comp no one cares about instead of playing test cricket for his country, and to me he is the one player we can't miss out of anyone. Instantly we cannot bowl teams out now. He could be Jimmy Anderson setting records for eternity he is that fit, and that good in test and ODI cricket.

The ICC needs to do something to address this because T20 already killed off the West Indies, NZ is fast heading down that track. Sri Lanka will not be back for a long, long time if ever, and South Africa who should be a powerhouse are under resourced too. Pakistan will always produce freakishly good cricketers. The hope had for Afghanistan looks like it is now in freefall.

There has not been a single international game played in New Zealand this summer. Last year we had the Netherlands home and away, South Africa for our usual two test only series, Bangladesh and Ireland. Thrilling. Most of our cricket seems to be these phone a friend mini series when another nation wants to fill a gap in their programme - it all comes last minute. I believe South Africa has also had very little cricket in the last couple of years.

Yes I agree, the foundation has been set for a three team domination for a long time to come

Well said. And probably not for a long time but forever - unless there is a better distribution of the money. Also, I agree that Pakistan will always produce elite cricketers but they too are 'robbed' of their full potential by the self interests of India, Australia, and England.

Perhaps International cricket mirrors life - the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

Watched an interesting chat with Harsha Bhogle who said that in 5-10 years time T20 Franchises will have to release players to go and play international games for their countries.

Much like what soccer does now........they have international windows to play Tests etc. but for the remainder of the year T20 is the main game around the world.

The current game has 2 governing bodies.....the ICC who were historically and still think they are in charge of world cricket and the BCCI who are mainly in charge and pretty much responsible for scheduling around the world around the Indian Team and TV rights.

It will probably end up with Australia/England/India and maybe one or two other teams having an alternating series against each other home and away over a period of time and the rest will be a T20 Global League(s) under one main governing body.

ODI's will probably die off.

Interesting times ahead!

Great thread.

I think 50 over cricket dies before tests. I do prefer test match cricket, the ultimate test (pardon the pun) of a cricketers mettle.

Like most things, it comes down to money, NZ and WI cricket is a prime example. The players are paid peanuts so they travel the world as T20 mercenaries to make a living, which I get. The pride of playing for your nation is no longer enough.

How do we fix it? It seems simple enough, central contracts through the ICC with top ups from the relevant governing body. Will it happen? No, not while the current ICC (I mean BCCI) are running the game.

I attended a meeting whereby coaches were lamenting how bad batting in junior ranks is atm and kids swinging from ball one, ramping, reverse sweeping etc.

A cricket big wig shook his head and said potential kids are more likely to play T20 than grade or first class cricket so get them practicing that stuff now. So there you go: patience, technique, skill… no longer needed.

I attended a meeting whereby coaches were lamenting how bad batting in junior ranks is atm and kids swinging from ball one, ramping, reverse sweeping etc.

A cricket big wig shook his head and said potential kids are more likely to play T20 than grade or first class cricket so get them practicing that stuff now. So there you go: patience, technique, skill… no longer needed.
Such a shame yet if a wicket is a bit tough in BBL, good cricket shots, straight bat, on the ground keep you going !!

I remember playing cricket and my coach telling me not to play indoor cricket as it would wreck my batting skills. Lol I guess it did in a way, played indoor and went from averaging 10 runs in outdoor to 9.99 runs an innings 😭

In the warm up match for the test series England are 367/5 after 51 overs vs a NZ XI...in white clothing. They are hitting out at every ball - lofting, ramping, backing away and exposing the stumps. Cricket shots, but close to a bit of a slog. I keep waiting for Bazball to come unstuck, but it has worked to date. It should be exciting, but I find it all a bit uncomfortable. In runs terms they are on target for 650 in a day's play.

In the warm up match for the test series England are 367/5 after 51 overs vs a NZ XI...in white clothing. They are hitting out at every ball - lofting, ramping, backing away and exposing the stumps. Cricket shots, but close to a bit of a slog. I keep waiting for Bazball to come unstuck, but it has worked to date. It should be exciting, but I find it all a bit uncomfortable. In runs terms they are on target for 650 in a day's play.
Interesting to see how this holds up on green English wickets v Cummins and co.

Interesting to see how this holds up on green English wickets v Cummins and co.

Indeed, that will be the test. There are not too many green wickets left in the world anymore, and the new English Duke ball has been very benign after 20 or so overs. I would say the middle order averages in test and county cricket last year would have been astronomical.

Trying to bully Australia is probably a good tactic from a team that historically tends to get overawed by them.

Other than the equipment it is a completely different game.

Speaking of test cricket, what did we think of Australia’s capitulation in the first test? I was very disappointed. Murphy was a shining light and the other bowlers toiled hard with not much luck, fielding was below par and the batting speaks for itself.

Our tail doesn’t wag anymore, Pat was a handy 8 once.

Leaving Head out was ridiculous. Despite his well documented struggles in Asia, he should have been given first shot and he bowls handy, skiddy finger spin which in that wicket was effective. I wonder what that does to his confidence?

One thing I picked up on was Umpire Menon and gis unwillingness to give an LBW. I think 4 or 5 of his were overturned on review. There was one crucial not out on Jadeja when India were 7/240 odd. Cummins was bowling, went up not out because the umpire thought bat first. When it was shown not to be, on field decision was upheld due to umpires call. It is either impacting in line / hitting the stumps or not, get rid of the Umpires call and soft signal !!

Unpopular opinion but it showed how weak Lyon is as a bowler. For me he doesn't ever spin it but bowls overspin with an angled arm action. In India he would never have got higher than 5th grade park cricket. He just happened to be the only bowling option for years after Warne. His figures aren't great besides the amount of wickets he has.(strike rate and average). Very excited by what I see in Murphy.

I thought someone in here may have made a thread on the 1st Ashes Test. That Test showed how incredible the long game is. I could be a little biased here but that was one of the most edge of your seat Tests I have seen for a very long time - last one was in 2005. I'm sure many neutral cricket lovers would've put that Test up there among some of the best there have been played.

I wish that TLA made print to order cards like they do for NRL. A Pat Cummins card showing him jumping for joy after the winning runs were hit would've been a special card. Incredible captain's knock.

The only other Tests I enjoyed as much - both Australia losses - were the 2 run defeat in the 2005 Ashes campaign which would've seen Australia retain the Ashes, and the epic Test in India in 2000/01 at Eden Gardens where Australia forced India to follow on but VVS Laxman and Dravid batted the house down and denied Australia a first ever Test series win in India.

Love Test match cricket.

West Indies are out of the World Cup after losses to Zimbabwe, The Netherlands and Scotland. Genuine question - will they ever be a force in world cricket again? Who else will follow their trajectory?

Ireland out after losing to Oman and Scotland will be disappointing for them.

I've been expecting Bazball to stuff England's chance in the Ashes, and it has. Positive cricket was definitely the right move for England, but they have become reckless, which will not pay off against the best. The team is better than this, genuinely on par with Australia imho. I hope they don't waste what they have in Root and Brooks. Brooks first innings dismissal was a horrible thing to witness in an Ashes test match.

Duckett's 12 leaves in 12 test innings is a truly remarkable stat for an opening test batsman. He has been impressive in his test career.

You know what would fix test cricket?

Banning anyone who plays T20 from selection.

Real quick you'd have players lining up to play, developing actual skills, rather than "how fast can you swing a bat" bullshit from T20.
In 5 years, test match cricket would be worth watching again.

Real quick you'd have players lining up to play, developing actual skills, rather than "how fast can you swing a bat" bullshit from T20.

Any player from anywhere, but the big three nations would lose 90% of their income. Test cricket would be a childhood aspiration of many, but not at the cost of their long-term livelihood.

The only fix that I can see is the ICC giving handouts to nations in order to pay their players properly and to stave off the allure of T20. But that will never ever happen with the power imbalance that exists.

I don’t think anyone would watch test
Cricket anymore with the quality of players that would be left

Back
Top Bottom