Wemby Autos

Hell of a player.......lots of potential......but prices already have multiple championships MVP's and other awards already priced in.

See Zion and most other Rookies that start out hugely expensive and come back to earth with a thud.

Always loved the comment "Buy on legacy and achievements locked away, not future potential hype."

I could spend $2000 on a Michael Jordan card and it would probably still be worth close to that in 5 years time.

You spend $2000 on a Wemby card and it might be worth $200 in a few years time. Could also be worth $10,000 but the odds of that are much smaller (unless its an insanely rare card) but most of those are even selling for huge amounts now.

Thanks @Matt26 and @GarnettFan4Life so how much would you spend right now on a Wemby auto?

If you like him as a player and plan to collect him long term....... spend whatever you want.......if its to flip and resell later......now is probably the worst time to buy.

Once Fanatics get the NBA licence in full.......these player licenced autos (no team logos) will probably go down and the ones in proper team unis will be worth a bit more.

Look at Zions cards......his cards were white hot and were selling for huge amounts.......now can be had for 20% of those original prices.

Yeah Zion $0 on anything.

I pulled a couple of his RC’s when they were like $10 each and just have them away to kids I couldn’t stand the sight of them lol

Yeah Wembys quite a few cheeseburgers away from Zion

Wemby is also a stiff breeze away from snapping in half....... one of Zion's farts could put him out for 6 months.

Id love to see someone like Wemby live up to the hype and have an all time legends career.......the issue is there are 50+ players out there that have had these types of careers and sell for 5% of what Wemby's cards currently do.

I remember posting here (and other places) years ago about how ridiculous prices were on early Zion cards and that to justify them he didn't just have to be the best PF of all time but the best player ever.

I was almost exclusively ridiculed and told I didn't know what I was talking about.

Interesting how the tide has turned...

As to Wembenyama, spend whatever you are comfortable spending. He is likely as good a bet as any player since LeBron to have an all time great career, but as mentioned by others there are so many factors that could affect that it's always a crap shoot projecting on a young player.

20% ? That's not too bad. I thought he may have been down to 5%. His card prices especially were absolutely insane in late 2020 early 2021.

He must be close to the biggest boom/bust of the hobby in terms of dollars. Lots of guys whose cards lose 99% of their value but not too many whose cards skyrocketed like his did and then came crashing back in a relatively short space of time.

I pulled a Silver Prizm rookie and sold it immediately for $1200 in March 2020. Six months later the card in a PSA10 was going for 4K USD - maybe more? I was kicking myself at that point. These days I feel like I made off like a bandit.

Last edited:
I feel bad for those who wandered into the NBA hobby in late 2020 early 2021 and bought into all the hype. Even Jordan and LBJ would still be down 50% from their absolute peak.

There a YT channel called baseball collector investor dealer. As the title suggests it's mostly baseball but the creator owned a LBJ rookie Topps Chrome black refractor which at its peak was valued around 80K USD. He made a video a few years ago saying that the value had dropped to around 35K and asked his viewers if they thought he should keep holding it or sell it. I don't know if he sold the card or what it would be worth today but presumably it would be worth at lot less than 80K today.

Crazy times. Grateful I got to experience the hobby for a few years prior to the madness.

This is the crazy aspect of the hobby. Perhaps a psychologist could explain it. It makes little sense that someone like Wembanyama is 20 times more expensive than most HOF players. Fomo?

I'll chime in. I'll say one thing regarding wemby's future price potential - feet. Think about all the nba centers who have been over 7'3... What prevented them from being better then they were (if they were even good to start with)? So we're leaving manute bol and Shawn Bradley out of the equation. Who are we left with? Bill Walton, rik smits, Mark Eaton, Gheorghe muresan, Zydrunas Ilgauskas, yao Ming. What literally killed their careers? Foot issues. It just seems to something that cannot be avoided - being over that height and having major foot problems. I seriously see wemby having issues with his feet. Ditto with holmgren BTW. When that happens, that'll be it. Of course, losing due to lack of chemistry (wemby being so used to being the man, he'll blatantly ignore a play and take a bad shot) won't help either.