Rocca gets the Eagles punter job!!!

Allstar cards inc

"Got one more than Shaq!"
Real Name
Marcus
eBay User
allstar_cards_inc
This is from Ninemsn....

Former Kangaroos and Collingwood forward Sav Rocca has been signed to a three-year deal with the Philadelphia Eagles in the NFL after winning a cut-throat battle with incumbent Dirk Johnson for the punter's spot on the club's roster.

There had been nothing between the pair during the pre-season but Rocca confirmed on Saturday that he had got the nod, completing a fairytale transition from the AFL to the NFL at his first attempt.

"I got a call from Dirk and he told me he got cut and wished me all the best and if we can keep in touch over the time that would be good," Rocca told SEN.

"He was pretty good about it and later on I had a barbecue at the owner's place and I spoke to the coach and he congratulated me."

Rocca, who turns 34 in November, joins former Geelong defender Ben Graham, who is in his second season as a punter with the New York Jets, and Matt McBriar of Dallas, as the third Australian in the NFL.

Rocca and Graham took the field together for what proved to be the decisive final pre-season game for Rocca when the Eagles hosted the Jets at Lincoln Financial Field on Thursday.

The Jets won the match 13-11 with a late field goal.

Rocca had not been as consistent as Johnson during the pre-season and was considered to be a riskier appointment but was also seen to have a greater upside.

His average punt of 49 yards ahead of Thursday's match ranked him fourth in the NFL overall for the pre-season.

Back
Top Bottom