HALL OF FAME

dragonforever

OzCardTrader
Feedback - 100%
8   0   0
exciting news with the14th immortal being named August this year along with 11 players into the Hall of Fame...
Start the list {players based on cycle since 2019

If I had to choose I think it would be someone like Ron Coote, followed by players like Ken Irvine, Sterlo/Kenny, Alf etc.

More recently you could have players like Smith/Slater/Thurston and the more likely Lockyer.

Will be interesting to see who it is!

Have to go the older players first, particularly those that are alive and can enjoy the accolade.

With the more recent retirees, they have to retired for 5 years before they can enter the HOF and they have to be HOF to be an Immortal. Therefore, aside from Lockyer, the other will need to wait until they are eligible and admitted to the HOF.

So, this is who I think should be the next Immortal.

Coote - I mean he displaced Chook Raper at lock for Australia. I know they don't count post-retirement achievements, or at least they didn't. But, as a statesman of the game and his work for Men in League, he stands alone.

Next Sterlo / Kenny. Brilliant, dominated at all levels. If you have the King singing your praises which does of these two (particularly Kenny), then you are special.

After that you can take your pick of Miles / Langer / Lazurus or Clyde.

Miles doesn't have the resume of others, but he was truly phenomenal. Just watch SOO and Kangaroo tour highlights and of course what his peers say about him.

Alf - Record at all levels speaks for itself. Perhaps didn't dominate the international arena but he had some pretty solid competition in his time. Lazurus, easy. 5 premierships with 3 different clubs. Coincidental? No way. The bloke was a winner and leader and revolutionized the prop role.

Brad Clyde? Much the same. Premierships, 2 x CCM (including in a losing team). The greatest 13 since Raper IMO.

I’ve got Kenny ahead of Sterling but also Ricky Stuart ahead of Langer. Changed the game in many ways (long passes, excellent kicking game). I personally think it will be someone from the 70s, while they’re still alive. I started watching league in 86-87, so don’t have much first experience of the game in the 70s.

They made a rod for their own back with this Immortal malarkey. Should’ve just had a Hall of Fame.

The Immortals concept was RLW magazine selling port. With a heap of BS conditions now carried over. Johns is no greater than Thurston, Billy Smith, Sterlo, Langer, Mortimer, Kimmorley like Mal is no greater than Miles, Hodges, Close or other centres in the game.

Back
Top Bottom