Real Name
Andrew
eBay User
billyhoyle9
what do you think?

CNz0WQT.jpg

David Lee disappointed he can't attend Golden State Warriors ring ceremony

19059740-mmmain.jpg

Philadelphia 76ers center Nerlens Noel (4) tries to steal the ball from Boston Celtics forward David Lee, right, during the first quarter of a preseason NBA basketball game in Manchester, N.H., Friday, Oct. 23, 2015. (AP Photo/Charles Krupa)
Email
By Jay King | [email protected]
on October 27, 2015 at 1:30 PM

WALTHAM -- David Lee does not want to watch from the other side of the country while his former teammates accept their championship rings, but will do so anyway to assure himself proper rest for the Boston Celtics season opener.

If the veteran big man had tried to attend Tuesday night's Golden State Warriors ceremony, his return flight to Boston would have landed in the wee hours of the following morning. He did not consider that a feasible option with the Celtics opening their regular season later Wednesday.

"Even if I had chartered back, I would have gotten in at 3 in the morning and that's not fair to the current team I'm with," Lee said Tuesday before practice. "And I really want to have a great opening night and get us a victory."

Lee acknowledged he "really would have liked to go to" the ring ceremony. Not being able to pull off the trip bothered him, but he did not want to start his Celtics career in a groggy, jet-lagged state. Instead, he plans to watch the ceremony on TV after getting in a late shooting workout at the Celtics practice facility.

"I's very important to me to watch that," he said. "But once that happens, it'll kind of be like the last little thing from last season. And like I said, I'm just really excited about tomorrow night (his first regular season game with the Celtics) and getting this new chapter started."

The last chapter closed with Lee helping in spot minutes as the Warriors held off the Cleveland Cavaliers for the NBA championship. Since getting traded to Boston, the 32-year-old has been asked by friends and family whether it's awful to watch Golden State and not be with the team.

"Really there's something about leaving when there's no unfinished business," Lee said last week. "If I would have left (after) we would have lost in the Finals last year, and I would have gone, like, 'Man, I really want to be back when they have a chance to win it again.'

"This was strictly a move about numbers in basketball. With them having the salary cap and the salary that I make this year and things like that, it was strictly a move like that. It's not that they didn't want me or I didn't want to be there.

"Leaving on the note that I did, though, being able to contribute in the playoffs the way I did, and us winning a championship, I have no regrets out there. And I still keep in touch with the guys. And so no, while I love it out there and I have great memories, I'm a guy who tries to live in the present. I'm just really excited about being here (in Boston) right now."

Bloody amazing rings I seen Harrison Barnes on Twitter - and I think it was one of the owners had his next to Rick Barry - night and day how huge and extravagant they are now.

Back
Top Bottom